BOX III. 3 – Writings by Dix - column - DEAR
DOROTHY DIX and DEAR MISS DIX
Folder 3 of 22
Newspaper clippings from two of her columns “Dear Dorothy Dix” (1 item)
and “Dear Miss Dix.” Both columns are from the syndicated publishing
that begun 1923. Titles scripted as in article. Source and date listed
1. “Don’t Counsel Widowed Mother, Dorothy Dix Warns Children.”
2. “Five Characteristics That Married Couples Should Have in Common.”
Love, congeniality, determination, sportsmanship and unselfishness.
Public Ledger Inc., 1935.
3. “For the Inquisitive.” A woman’s age is her own business, not even
her fiancée’s business.
4. “IF YOU PLAY LOVE GAME WITH MARRIED MEN CARDS STACKED AGAINST YOU.
Miss Dix Says There Isn’t a Man Who is Worth Girl’s Forfeiting Her
Self-Respect and Her Good Name.”
5. “LOVE THIEF IS SURE TO SUFFER FINALLY STATES DOROTHY DIX. Women Who
Breaks Others’ Homes Uses Time Needed for Making Her Own and Will Some
day Find Herself Miserable and Unmarried.”
6. “MIDDLE-AGED DEFENDED ON OWN MERITS. Maturity Brings Intelligent
approach to Life and Its Problems.” Public Ledger.
7. “Only Cure for Jealousy Is Good Hard Common Sense.”
8. “Refuse to Marry Practical Joker, Advice to Woman. People Who Are
Most Fond of Making Jokes at Expense of Others Can Never Take a Joke
9. “Smart Girl Prepares Herself for Life in Social World After
10. “Takes More Than Friendship to Make Success in Business. Woman, Who
Says She Is Failure, Told to Stop and Take Stock of Herself by Miss
11. “Women Who Were Belles at 20 Never Go Astray at 40. Middle-Aged
Women Who Hire Gigolos Are Usually Those Who Married Their First
12. “YOUTH WEDS THEN REPENTS. Dorothy Dix Points to Path of Duty for
Unloving But Loved Wife.”
13. “---Is Domineering, Call Mother---Advice.”
14. “Dear Miss Dix – This Is My Problem,” by Dorothy Dix. Condensed from
Independent Woman by Hildegarde Dolson, published by The National
Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Club, Inc., 1819
Broadway, New York 23, N.Y., Independent Woman, January, ’45 (from Dix’
Dorothy Dix Research Guide (menu)