BOX X. 9 – Photographs of the Le Petit Salon
Folder 9 of 11
Le Petit Salon, established in 1924, November 14, and located at 620 St.
Peter Street, New Orleans Louisiana, became Dix’s social heaven.
According to the club’s first president Grace King “the club promises to
be a most needed and delightful addition to things worthwhile in New
Orleans, with its object purely social as well as literary and artistic,
which means of course a cordiality and culture that add to the life of
The Founders of the club were believers in, and preservationists of the
arts, the old buildings and the graceful way of life in New Orleans. In
1924 the French Quarter had just begun to be the gathering place of
artists and writers – the literate of the day – many of whom were to go
to be luminaries of literature and the arts. This was the ethos in which
Le Petit Salon was founded and the spirit that pervaded it. (Golden
Anniversary Le Petit Salon, A History of Its Fifty Years 1924~1974).
Photographs by Inga Filippo while visiting the Salon in 1992 and 1996.
1. Dedication plaque for the Victor David House where the Salon is
located. VICTOR DAVID HOUSE, Erected in 1838 for Victor David, a native
of Gascony, France, and his wife Ann Rabassa David Sidle and Samuel
Stewart, builders. Purchased and restored in 1925 as its clubhouse by Le
Petit Salon a ladies’ literary group one of the first to recognize and
preserve the cultural traditions of the Vieux Carre`. This plaque
dedicated on April 28, 1988.
2. Front fašade of the Victor David House showing the two floors the
Salon occupies, 1992 (2 copies).
3. Oil portrait of Elizabeth Meriwether Gilmer (Dorothy Dix) reading a
newspaper, portrait by Ella Miriam Wood. Drawing Room, Le Petit Salon,
4. Interior of the Drawing Room at the Salon showing furniture and the
oil portrait of Dix, 1992(2 copies).
5. Interior of the Salon showing fireplace and mantel, candelabras and
6. Courtyard in the back of the Victor David House, Le Petit Salon,
Research Guide (menu)