The Hillman Land and Iron Company was established during the late 1840’s by Daniel Hillman. It has ties to local agriculture and early industry in the South. The iron furnaces located in the Land Between the Lakes directly contributed to a regional industry that covered western Kentucky to the southern counties of Middle Tennessee. Austin Peay State University has the original business records of the Hillman Land and Iron Company.
The Hillman papers were donated to the Woodward Library from the last manager of the property in the 1960s, thanks to former Austin Peay Professor of History J. Milton Henry. Preservation and partial digitization of this collection was performed during the 2014-2015 academic year. Funds were provided to the library by a Tennessee State and National Archival Partnership (SNAP) Grant.