Music Collection Development Policy
Location of Collection: Woodward Library, Level 3
Overall Collecting Level: Present level D=basic & C=Study; Desired level is C=Study
Purpose/ program description: To provide training for music performance careers and education licensure, to meet the need for music teachers in the state and surrounding areas, and to provide resources and experiences to those wishing to include music in an humanistic education. There are three concentrations: Music Performance (Instrumental, vocal, keyboard and composition), Music Education, and Liberal Arts. Music is also offered as part of the general education core.
- Accrediting body: National Association of Schools of Music
- Degrees offered/majors or areas of specialization: B.S. & B.A., M.Mu.
Collection Development Plan
- Band/Jazz/Instr. Conducting
- Music Education (including dissertations for graduate research)
- Music Appreciation
General Collection Guidelines
Languages: English mainly, but there are some vocal pieces collected in German, French, Latin
Chronological Guidelines: A=pre-1900, B:1900-1960, C=1961-present
Dates of Publication: 2006-
Geographical Areas: U=United States, E=Europe
Material Formats Collected: monographs & music scores, videos
Material Formats Excluded: workbooks and consumables, review copies, computer software, instructional software, books on CD or tape (library storage/operational constraints)
Other General Considerations: Graduate courses in literature, theory, conducting, instruction, composition, ensembles and education. Underrepresented world areas are Asia, Africa and South America as well as representation of other cultures.
Statement of Collection Strengths and Weaknesses: The following areas need be to raised to study: General music, instrumental, orchestral music, literature of music, libretto bib., history & criticism Including vocal, orchestral, instrumental and juvenile literature.
LC Subject Subdivisions: (M1-2199;ML1-3930;MT1-960)
- Music (General), (M1-5)
- Solo Instruments (M6-175.5)
- Two or more solo instruments, chamber music(M177-990)
- Orchestral Music (M1000-1366)
- Secular vocal, choral. Songs (M1495-1353
- Sacred vocal , orations, hymns, liturgy (M1999-2199)
- Literature of music- general (ML1-470
- Librettos. Bibliography (ML48-158)
- History & Criticism of Music, BIO (ML159-458)
- Instrumental (History and Criticism) (ML459-1099)
- Chamber & orchestral history & criticism (ML1100-1380)
- Vocal history & criticism (ML1400-3275)
- Dance, popular and national music history & criticism (ML3400-3776)
- Philosophy and physics of music (ML3800-3923)
- Juvenile Literature (ML3928-3930)
- Musical instruction and study (MT1-39)
- Composition (MT40-67)
- Improvisation (MT68)
- Orchestra & orchestration (MT70-86)
- Analytical guides-hermeneutics, (M90-146)
- Instrumental techniques (MT170-810)
- Singing and voice culture (MT820-949)
- Production of operas. Music in theatres (MT955-960)
Related Subject Areas: Education, technology.
Impact of Local, Regional, or National Cooperative Programs: Department serves as a resource center for area public school teachers. Also participates in activities of the Center for Creative Arts.
Other Considerations: May purchase scores with older imprints as needed.
Date Prepared: 04/2002; Last Updated: 08/2013